Cooking Up a Taste of Hong Kong at Pymble

Rain To (Year 9) traces her interest in Food Technology back to the COVID-19 lockdowns.

While many spent their time at home baking banana bread, Rain spent hers going far beyond the usual, and what started as a playful experiment with recipes has grown into a serious passion for food.

“I’ve always loved cooking and baking, and during COVID I would find recipes to try out or just mess around and invent my own,” said To.

It was these moments of kitchen creativity that laid the foundation for Rain’s enthusiasm, which truly came to light when she started her compulsory Food Technology class in Year 8. Her time studying this subject hasn’t been without its challenges, however, but she thrives on overcoming them.

One project, in particular, stands out for Rain: creating a burger suited to a gluten-free diet. Initially sceptical about her idea of making a rice-based burger, her determination, combined with feedback from her teacher, Mrs Melanie Moar, led to a surprising outcome.

“When making the burger for a gluten-free person, I had to research what they could and couldn’t eat,” she said.

“I ended up making a rice burger, which I thought wasn’t going to turn out well, but Mrs Moar gave me some suggestions on my original recipe, and it ended up looking nice and tasted amazing.”

This experience wasn’t just about learning a new culinary technique; it was a lesson in adaptability and problem-solving. And when Rain was encouraged by her teacher to think critically and creatively, she embraced it fully, resulting in a delectable final product.

Having been born in Hong Kong, Rain’s cultural roots help shape her culinary journey. Her favourite dish to make back home is a simple yet comforting instant noodle breakfast, often served with ham, sausages and a sunny-side-up egg on top.

“My family likes to say I fry the best eggs,” she boasted playfully.

In an upcoming assessment, Rain is also planning on incorporating Hong Kong cuisine by making turnip cakes for Chinese New Year.

“Turnip cakes are mostly found in Hong Kong, so I think it will be a good way to incorporate some of my favourite dishes and try to recreate them,” said To.

Behind all of Rain’s delicious dishes is a lesser-known challenge that her and other students face in Food Technology: time.

“We barely have any time for cooking during practical lessons,” said To.

Managing the clock while preparing food is an essential skill taught in the class, as students learn how to complete their dishes on time without compromising on quality or taste. This has taught Rain how to be efficient and organised, skills that will no doubt serve her well if she pursues her dream of becoming a professional chef.

Rain enthusiastically wants to extend her food tech journey after she finishes school, saying that she “wants to go to culinary school.”

Her ultimate dream? Opening her own restaurant or café. And with her determination, creativity and deep love for food, Rain’s dream is very much within reach of becoming a reality.