Where are they now? Tiarna Williams (2020)

It seems like yesterday that I was literally running back to Lang House at the end of day to make sure I got first dibs at afternoon tea! I also miss my chats with Mrs Burgess (usually about The Beatles), catching up with Albert at dinner and hanging out with the girls in the common room. My time as a Boarder at Pymble did not come without its challenges, but I am so grateful for being able to experience Pymble life and I treasure the memories I made.

My life since graduating from Pymble has only gotten busier and busier… and busier. 

During Year 12, I secured early entry into the University of Wollongong and I am currently in my fourth year of studying a Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of International Studies. I am really enjoying my studies and I’m hopeful that one day I can work for the United Nations as a human rights lawyer. Last year, I was lucky enough to study in London on exchange for a semester. During my six months overseas, I had the opportunity to travel extensively through Europe, visiting many of the ancient sites I studied in Mr Stewart’s ancient history class! I explored France, Italy, Austria and the Netherlands, as well as many adventures in London.

Towards the end of 2023, I was awarded the prestigious New Colombo Plan scholarship by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. This scholarship allows university students to study and work in the Indo-Pacific region. As part of this scholarship, I will be travelling to Singapore later this year to continue my studies and also undertake an internship at the Australian High Commission in Singapore. I am super excited about this opportunity, and I’d like to give a massive shout out to Miss Howie for writing a fabulous reference for me that was submitted as part of my application for this scholarship.

Throughout my studies and travel, I’ve continued to compete in tennis, playing for my university in Australia and also overseas. It’s very different tracking through snow to play tennis outdoors! I recently returned from the Australian Open in Melbourne where I was helping out as a mentor and coach during the Evonne Goolagong National Development Camp. Shout out to the Pymble Boarders, Giselle and Sophia, who attended the camp with me and did an amazing job!

Currently, I’m completing an internship in Melbourne at Australia’s best law firm. I’ll be back home soon to start my fourth year of university. When I get back from Singapore, I will have one more year left to complete in my degree and then I’ll be commencing my Masters. Life is very busy but exciting, fulfilling and rewarding.